Start Your Year with Kahoot

A few years ago, I was introduced to Kahoot during a staff training. If you have never used it before, it's a free website where you can make different quizzes and games that your class or group of teachers can interact with on their laptops, iPads, or phones. Since learning about it, I have used it with second graders to create end of unit, group review quizzes. This summer though, I have been thinking about what a fun tool it would be at the beginning of the year.

My disclaimer is this: I haven't actually tried any of these ideas, because they are just that, ideas. So here they are and if you take any of them and run with them please let me know how it goes for you!

1. Two Truths and a Lie
Have all of your students write down two true facts and one "alternative fact" about him or herself on the first day of school. After school or on your planning plug them all into a Kahoot quiz. Have your students guess the "lies" by taking the quiz in groups. Of course, if it is the student's question, they cannot help their team. You can cutesy it up by using their pictures with their questions. When creating this kahoot, be sure to use the "quiz" style. 

2. Meet the Teacher Game
Create a quiz with funny trivia questions about yourself. Have the students work together to figure guess the answers. You could even write questions where there are clues around the room to help with answers. There's nothing better than a friendly, competition to get to know someone. 

3. Interest Survey Results
This is probably better suited to a 1:1 classroom than a classroom where students are expected to share devices. You can use the survey tool to ask a series of student interest and academic interest questions and then analyze the data together. In second grade, we always made a graph on the first day of school about how we get home. This tool would allow students to instantly see their data in a graph that they could then use and discuss. I also love asking students how they feel about different subjects coming into the year just to see what I am working with. You could even ask about their favorite foods, sports, games, families, etc. just to break the ice and get to know each other.

4. Procedures Review
Let's be honest, you will go over, and over, and over, and over procedures at the beginning of the year. Create a quick quiz over procedures to allow students to review near the end of the first week. It's a fresh way to review and discuss procedures.

5. Use It As A Tool To Introduce Technology Expectations
First, you can teach a mini lesson about your classroom technology rules and expectations. Then, review those expectations by using the technology to take a review quiz. So meta!

A few words about management:
I have only ever used Kahoot in a classroom that was not 1:1. In the past, I have used my 4 classroom laptops, my teacher iPad, and then I was able to use the 6 kindles I got with a Donors Choose project. When setting up for a Kahoot game, I usually distribute all of the devices while my students are finishing up stations or something else. That way I can put them all in a good spot and sign them all onto the kahoot.it page. I then call all of my students to the carpet and tell them their teams and which device to go to. I usually pick the teams and try to make them even based on abilities, but of course that's up to you and not as applicable in these beginning of the year situations. Once they are at their device, they can put in the game key, their team names, and their nicknames. You might need to do a quick review about appropriate team names. From there you should be good to go. Word to the wise: it can get pretty loud because all of your kids will be so into it. I had to learn to deal with the noise because it's inevitable and it's a sign of engagement and excitement!

Thanks!

Comments

  1. Great ideas! Thanks for the insight. I've never used kahoot, but maybe Inshould start!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Read Teal?

Flexible Seating Series Part 3