Fun 5 Below Finds: June 2017

So a horrible thing happened to my wallet this month. I was already hurting because I live just 2 minutes from my town's Target so obviously I was there a few times a week. Someone thought it would be cute to open up a 5 Below, Michael's and Tuesday Morning in that same shopping center. This means an extra money saving challenge for me but also some teacher finds at 5 Below for you!

The thing I love the most about 5 Below is of course the price. Yes it can be really easy to get carried away because it's all so cheap, but that can add up quickly. I like the price because then if something I have bought for my classroom breaks or isn't as successful or popular as I had hoped, I'm not out a huge amount of money!

So here are your Fun 5 Below Finds for June 2017:

1. Cute Pinatas- $5

These caught my eye because they are so bright and colorful and go with a lot of trendy teacher classroom themes I've been seeing around Instagram. They would make an adorable classroom decoration and who knows, maybe you could bust it open on the last day of school?!

2. Fun Throw Pillows- $5

These throw pillows also offer a pop of color to your classroom and personalize the space. I absolutely love those fruit shapes and the silly quotes. These would be a hit with your kids to lounge on as they get their work done!

3. "Make Up Organizers" - $4

My mind immediately filled with organization ideas when I saw these. You might use these for table group supplies, a way to keep lost supplies more organized, as your small group table, for math manipulatives, etc. Plus, those colors are adorable!

4. Exercise Equipment- $5


If you are even remotely considering flexible seating, I suggest you start here. Each of these pieces is only $5 and is a great way to introduce your class to flex seating choices. Those yoga mats are an easy way for kids to comfortably work on the ground in a defined space. Depending on the size and age of your students you could cut it in half. The stability balls are a way to provide movement while your students are seated at a table. The interlocking foam floor pieces are also a comfortable way to define a floor workspace, classroom library, meeting area, etc.

5. Various School Supplies-$1

Stock up your teacher toolbox cheaply! You can also use these sharpeners, erasers, etc. as very low-cost student incentives.

6. Basketball Hoop- $5
There are a lot of fun ways to use this as a classroom incentive or review game. Your student answers the question correctly? Give them a shot! The possibilities are endless for $5.

7. Rugs, Carpets, Beach Mats- $2.50-5


Have I mentioned that I love the way carpet can define a certain area of your room? All of these are low cost ways to do that! I often have carpet in quiet, independent work spaces and my classroom library. You could also have a buddy reading mat. 

8. Giant Dice- $5

 I use dice in my classroom all the time for games, student choice, etc. What kid wouldn't want a change to roll this bad boy?

9. Wireless Speaker & Mouse


 I love to use my wireless mouse. I heard about this teacher hack at a training where the speaker referred to the wireless mouse as the "redneck smart board." It truly is. This thing can travel around your classroom and students can use it to interact with whatever is projected onto your screen. I found this one at 5 Below but the one I have is much cuter and from Target, though a little bit more expensive. I also hook up my phone or computer to speakers pretty regularly because we like to jam in my classroom!

10. Various Games-$5

5 Below has loads of games and these are just two I picked out. I love Parking Lot because it's a logic game that students could do indepentnly or with a partner. This will require lots of critical thinking and a growth mindset. I would put this in an early finisher area, enrichment station, or as an indoor recess activity. I also love Rummy Tile because it requires creative thinking as well. This one is less straight forward and would be better taught and practiced in a small group before having students use it on their own!

If you already read my Target Teacher Finds post this month, you know that I suggested fun pool floats as a seating option in your room. Lucky for you they have some just as cute options for a lot cheaper at 5 Below :)


Happy Shopping!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Read Teal?

Start Your Year with Kahoot

Flexible Seating Series Part 3