Target Teacher Treasures: June 2017


How many of us teachers or mamas (or teacher mamas) are guilty of walking aimlessly around Target, once, twice, three times a week (um you mean a day right?). Last summer I found myself in a precarious situation. It was my first summer in 9 years without a job. I was also 8 months pregnant (can anyone say nesting) and of course looking forward to the upcoming school year. Needless to say, Target was definitely my second home.

As a teacher it's difficult for me to shop without my classroom in mind. Especially since I love alternative seating, I am always on the lookout for new ways to spruce up my room.

So here you have it: Target Teacher Treasures June 2017 Edition (because let's be honest, I will be back to look at the fresh finds in July, and August, and September, etc).


1. FLASH CARDS & RESEARCH CARDS
These are some of my favorite every year. Let's be honest, kids can tear up some flashcards if they use them enough so I always refresh my stash at the beginning of the year. In addition to the regular math type flash cards are these orange boxes that I call the "research cards." Each deck has pictures on the front and info on the back. I throw these in my monthly writing centers for students to do some thematic non-fiction writing.

2. Felt Books


I have never seen these before. Right now for $3 you can find these thematic felt kits. These are perfect for primary writing stations. Students can use the felt pieces to create their story and then write it or they could write a story and then use the felt pieces to retell it to a partner. They can do the same thing with the fairytale felt books. How cool would it be to keep a class journal at this station that students could share their different train or sweet shop or castle stories in?!

3. Congrats Box
I always snag these boxes for my seasonal writing centers. When I say this one I thought "how powerful would it be to write notes to the class congratulating each other on our successes?" You could simply leave this box with a pen and stack of sticky notes and then share the notes at the end of the day or week! Easy and powerful (and cheap!).

4. Clothespin Activities
I have seen a million activities like this on TPT but how awesome is it that they are already made?! These are perfect in kinder and first and honestly, I would definitely use the rhyming cards in my second grade intervention groups with those kiddos that need the extra practice. For those of you who are unfamiliar with these, students match the clips to the correct spots on the cards and then turn them over to check their understanding. Easy practice & again, already done for you.

5. Coffee Bank
Because who doesn't frequent the Starbucks drive through?!

6. Find It Fast! Game
If you've ever played Spot It! this might look familiar. It's the dollar spot knock off. I could go on and on about this game but I like to play it just quickly with small groups sometimes to get our brains working. Essentially students have to compare two cards to figure out what they have in common. I love that it gets the kiddos noticing details and talking about what they see. 

7. Various Size Plastic Bins
Is there a teacher out there who couldn't find a million and two uses for these awesome & sturdy bins? The big ones are $5 and the smaller two are $3 each. I know, I know, the possibilities are endless.

8. Adorable Lights

Because those awful fluorescents don't set the mood, I often use different lights in my classroom. These cute strands would be perfect in a reading corner/library etc. Today I saw bugs, butterflies, and those cute balls in green and pink. I may have to snag these for my fiesta classroom.

Phew! All that and we are finally leaving the Dollar Spot. Am I the only one who lets the dollar spot turn into the 12 dollar spot on a regular basis? It's just all so good!

Here are the rest of my June Target Treasures:

9. Plastic Table & Chairs
I found this adorable set up in the outdoor furniture area. They are already on clearance as Target is clearly gearing up for Back to School shopping. In an alternative seating classroom the possibilities are endless. This could be a choice seat for your kids, a listening, computer, writing center, etc. The best part is the table is only $9.98 and the chairs are each $6.98. 

10. Crazy Pool Floats
Another fun way to do alternative seating on your classroom. I don't know about you, but I can see the donut, pizza slice, and emoji seats being a huge hit with my kiddos. 

11. Foam Floor Alphabet

My little man at home has these and I love them. Kids love to sit on the ground at school but carpets are 1. expensive and can be 2. gross. These are an easy low-cost solution for colorful, clean & comfy floor seating in your classroom. You can also arrange the pieces anyway you wish!

12. Clearance Patio Cushions


I know pillows and cushions can get really gross really fast in classrooms. I have found that using outdoor ones generally goes better because the fabrics are more durable. These make great workplaces in the classroom because they are comfortable and portable! Snag these on clearance before they go away for the year.

13. Lights & Signs

I found these cute light up letters in the beginning of the college stuff that's popping up. I am lucky (I use this term loosely) to live in a college town. That means our Target/Walmart/HEB/etc. are always packed with back to college stuff. That means more plastic organization options for yours truly. I love the idea of displaying a light up message to your kids. Also who spies that light box on the top shelf? That's right, txteachermama is finally joining the light box club this year. I can't wait to bust that puppy out. Finally, I found those lights on the right in the clearance outdoor section. See what I said about lights in the dollar spot section, but these ones are longer, more durable because they are made for the outdoors, and plug in!

14. Cute Flower Decoration

I am still debating what I am going to do for my classroom theme this year. I am coming off of 3 years with a Texas/Fiesta theme that this would totally lend itself too. I personally think this would be adorable in a cactus or flamingo/pineapple/tropical room, too!


What fun stuff have you picked up at Target this June? What are you looking forward to grabbing for your own classroom? I'd love to hear your thoughts & feedback in the comments below. Happy shopping!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Read Teal?

Start Your Year with Kahoot

Flexible Seating Series Part 3