The 3 Ws of Procedures




If you didn't see my earlier post about important lists to make before you start the year hop on over there before you read this.

First off I will say that some people are list writers by nature. At one point in my life I would have said I am an ultimate list maker, though admittedly some of my lists are in my mind. I always have lists going on my phone. I have lists in random notebooks, etc. I also love a good to-do list. My husband is the master of to-do lists. I don't think I have ever passed his desk without seeing an extensive one that he is diligently working at completing. 

One of the lists that I thought I had worked out as a first year teacher was my procedures list (haha I thought I had procedures down as a first year teacher). I just worked procedures into my beginning of the year lesson lists (more on these in a coming post). After reflection however, I realized that a more explicit list would have served me much better in the long run.

Over the past three years, I've developed a list that's more like a living document of procedures that need to be taught at the beginning of the school year. Yes, there are times when mental notes are alright, but in my experience, procedures are what make or break a school year so they've got to be given the attention they deserve. 

My list (and you can snag it as a freebie in my TPT store) is actually a table because seriously I live by those. First, I list every procedure that exists in my classroom, and I'm talking every single one. In the second column, I will plan when they need to be taught. Of course the first day is mainly procedures so depending on your grade a lot of them will be right away. Some procedures might have to wait until later in the week, like procedures for stations. I like to be as specific as I can and add time of day when necessary. Finally, the last column is for notes of how I am going to teach it. Are you going to make an anchor chart? Will there be a pre-created visual? Do you need a volunteer to act it out? Will you have some students show you what not to do (kids always love the chance to do it wrong)? Procedures are so important (wait have I said that yet?) that they cannot be just listed off to the kids.

Spending time before the school year creating this chart is helpful for a few reasons:
1. It pulls you back into the reality of the situation you're about to be in. At the end of the year your class was grown up and trained. These kids will be a whole year younger and green (assuming you're still in the same grade). It can seem daunting but that's the beauty of it! You can teach them how your room works!
2. This task is reflective. Thinking through each and every procedure will naturally allow you to identify areas for growth in your classroom management. (This is one of the reasons I suggest doing your Adios and Again lists first).
3. It's a great document to bring to beginning of the year team meetings, especially if there are new members of your grade. Be prepared to share what you've done in the past and be open to new ideas. 

If you're a brand new teacher I cannot tell you how essential this is! Reflect on the procedures you observed in your student teaching. You DO NOT have to do the same procedures as your cooperating teacher. I repeat, you DO NOT have to do the same procedures as your cooperating teacher. I so badly wish someone had told me that. You are not them, it is your room and you need to make it work so that you don't feel fake in your classroom with your class. But I digress, reflect on those procedures so that you can either A. Implement the procedures that you liked and saw success with in your own classroom B. Implement different procedures that will work better for you in your own classroom. Then be prepared to bring those document with your procedures already thought out and have a teammate give you feedback or think through it with you if necessary. 

When you're all done you will have at least half of your first week lesson plans DONZO and ready to slip into your "first week lesson lists" as I like to call them.

I hope you get the chance to check out my freebie and be sure to let me know how it works for you! What procedures did you add? How do you teach procedures? I can't wait to connect with you in the comments below!



Comments

  1. Love the Adios and Again lists! Love how you have a chart for your procedures, heading to your store now to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Read Teal?

Start Your Year with Kahoot

Flexible Seating Series Part 3